Guild Block Exchange & New Project

2013-11-21 16.34.47

Well I am ALMOST done with my guild block exchange quilt!!  I just need to do the borders.  I had to do a little fixing on some of the blocks, including some of my own!  I just added strips of my background fabric and then squared them up to 12.5″.  Made it quite easy to add all the sashing and finish putting the rows together.  I really like how it’s turned out, and I can’t wait to see what everyone else has done.

Scrappy with applieque hexiesI know, I need another project like I need a hole in my head! I saw a few rows of a quilt on Facebook and really liked the idea of the scrappy 25-patch blocks mixing with a scrappy block that has an applique on it.  I’ve already pulled all the pieces I need for the hexie flowers and started pinning them to my 1″ papers.  I just happen to have the 6.5″ square die for my Studio so I can cut the white squares I need to applique them to.  By the time this is done I’ll have used up 517 2.5″ squares!!!  Quilt will end up being 58″ x 58″ with the border.

Good night irene quiltI mentioned the other day that I was joining another SAL over at Terry’s Treasures.  I designed the quilt in EQ so I could play with sizes and decide how big I wanted to make it.  With a border this quilt will be around 58″ x 58″. This will be entirely made of scrap pieces as well, using 2.5″ squares (or triangles) and 4.5″ squares.  I need to see what whites I have to use, I may have to make a trip to Joann’s to get a white of some sort to use.  I just figured it out and this quilt (in the size I’ve chosen) will use 192 2.5″ squares in the 16-patches, 96 4.5″ squares, 144 2.5″ squares (or triangles) in the X blocks. That will use 336 2.5″ squares in the quilt!  Between the 2 quilts I’ll use up a lot of scraps!!!!

I still need to cut 40 black 6.5″ squares for the scrappy 9-patch quilt.  I will most likely cut the white and black squares at the same time since I’ll have the Studio out from under the sewing table.  I just got the larger tray and the large Go adapter for the Studio today, so I’ll be able to use my 2.5″ strip die now.  Definitely having fun working on scrap quilts, even though I have LOTS of other quilts I need to finish!  I’ve also been slowly working on pieces for my hexagon diamond quilt, still haven’t put the row together even though I finished the diamonds, I will need to work on that soon, but I did start working on the black hexies I need for fill in on the top and bottom. Although now I’ll be working on the hexies for the applique instead!

Alex is up from his nap, so I better get him up and it’s almost time to start working on dinner anyway.  Laters!

One Reply to “Guild Block Exchange & New Project”

  1. Your layout is different than mine, but I like it! I wish I had EQ to figure out quilts…I have to use a paper and some graph paper! It’s a bit harder to do that way but it works! :0)

Comments are closed.