Ok, I finally decided what to work on next! My mother-in-law gave my husband some pins and buttons from her father’s Marine Corp uniform at Xmas. We were thinking shadow box for them, but then I thought “I can make a wallhanging quilt with pictures and then we can attach all the pins and buttons.” Well, the quilt top is now done and I’m getting ready to start pinning and quilting it. If I’m lucky I’ll get it quilted today since it’s not that big and be able to do the binding later tonight! Pics will come when it’s finished!
It’s done! I was actually able to work on some of it yesterday while my mom worked on finishing her placemats (Xmas present in 2007 that never got finished). I just had to finish attaching the rows this morning. Some spots don’t look too good, but ya know what? It doesn’t matter to me. It’s not going to be entered in a show and it’s meant to be used – so who cares if some of the seams don’t match? Now to decide what to work on next!
Ok, the placemats are finally finished. Took about 3 weeks of cutting and sewing and then a couple of days of hand work to get the binding sewn on. I know, I could sew the binding on by machine and be done that much faster, but there’s just something I love about sitting on the couch and watching a movie or TV show and doing hand work. Especially if I’m watching shows with my husband! There’s only 4 in the picture because I don’t have the leaf on the table – we had to take it in when we ordered the additional one.
The last few days I’ve been working to get my winding ways kit completed (I talked about it here). I had started it by hand and decided that with all the bulk I wanted to finish it by machine. I’ve finished piecing all the blocks and just need to stitch the rows together. Hopefully that will be done tomorrow – my mom is coming over today and I need to get her to finish at least one of her projects!
Well I did finish the Love is Wallhanging this week, Wednesday night to be exact. I couldn’t get it hung until the weekend because we needed to take the mirror off the back of my dresser in order to be able to hang the quilt. It looks pretty good on the shelf – which I bought in Amish Country in November.
This weekend I’m working on some placemats for the dining room table. I’m hoping to get 6 out of the fabric I have, but I’m not sure if I’ll get that many. It’s a simple rail fence pattern using 4 greens of Equinox by Blank Textiles. I absolutely LOVE this pattern! I have so many colors of it and I’d love to buy more, but not that many places sell it anymore. If anyone knows where I can get some, let me know!
Well back to work, hope to finish these tops today.
Well I just finished quilting the Love Is Wallhanging and sewing the binding to the front. I’m going to go and relax by a fire and hand stitch the binding to the back and watch some tv – maybe Series 2 of The Quilt Show that I have on DVD. I’ll take a picture once the binding is done and it’s hanging on the wall.
Well that certainly didn’t take long, but then I didn’t think it would. Since the blocks were already cut out all I had to do was chain piece them together and put a border on it. I think it will look nice on the dining room table this 4th of July….if it’s quilted by then! Tomorrow is working on the quilting of the Love Is Wallhanging…..it’s not that big, so hopefully I can get it quilted and bound this week. Then it can get hung in the bedroom.
Well I’m quite proud of myself! I started and finished the January block of The Quilt Show 2009 BOM – Stars for a New Day. I had a few issues, and somehow I managed to lose 1/4″ on each side, but I’ll deal with it next month when it gets set on-point. Now I’m off to start a patriotic table runner, I found some 4″ charm squares when I was looking for fabric for the BOM – it shouldn’t take long to put together.
I just finished putting together my 1st top of 2009. The blocks were from the Quilting Stash Yahoo Group Block Swap in 2007 and I am just now getting it all together. I pieced the backing from all the leftover fabrics I bought and I even have enough fabric for the binding! Now onto the next one!
Well, with a new year starting, I figured it was time to make some changes to the blog. The header has a bunch of quilts that I’ve made in the last few years. I added a list of all the projects that need to be quilted and a list of all the projects I’m working on. I found the progress bars here. Now if I can just remember to update them! 🙂